Awkward Moment™ puts 3-8 players in terrifically awkward social situations! Players gather a hand of Reactions and together face hysterical, embarrassing, or stressful events. How Awkward! Taking turns as “the Decider,” players use Decider Card to determine the basis for a winning Reaction. Players try to impress the Decider by submitting the best response from their hand of cards!
Awkward Moment is a 20 minute game for middle and high school students (3-8 players ages 12 and up).
- 100 Moment Cards
- 284 Reaction Cards
- 48 Decider Cards
- Game Rules with Variations
Awkward Moment features three decks of cards:
- Moment Cards: Moment Cards pose hypothetical situations to which players respond.
- Reaction Cards:Reaction Cards provide players with possible responses to the awkward situations presented by Moment Cards
- Decider Cards: each Decider Card gives the Decider a guideline to use to select the winning reaction
Players each receive five Reaction Cards. The first Decider flips one Moment Card and one Decider Card and reads them to the group. Each player submits a face down Reaction Card in response to the Moment and Decider Card on the table. The Decider shuffles the submitted cards, reads them to the group, and picks a winner by interpreting the Decider Card’s rule. The winner keeps this round’s Moment Card. Each player draws a new Reaction Card and the player to the Decider’s left becomes the next Decider.
Why Awkward Moment Matters
Awkward Moment was developed as part of a National Science Foundation-funded project called “Transforming Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) For Women and Girls: Reworking Stereotypes & Bias.” The grant has allowed Tiltfactor, with additional assistance from the National Girls Collaborative Project, to research and create a number of games, with designs informed by psychological theory and research, aimed at reducing gender bias and broadening participation in STEM. Initial data suggests that Awkward Moment strengthens associations between women and STEM and inspires greater assertiveness in confronting social bias.
- Game Design: Mary Flanagan, Andrea McClave, Viviana Ramos, Max Seidman, Zara Downs, Sukdith Punjasthitkul
- Art Direction: Zara Downs
- Executive Producer: Mary Flanagan
- Producer: Sukdith Punjasthitkul
- Playtesters: Friends, families, and students in the NH/VT Upper Valley and beyond. Middle School Age appropriate.
- Awkward Contributors: Sebastian Bierman-Lytle, Sharang Biswas, Mark Essig, Mary Flanagan, Geoff Kaufman, Janet Kim, Shloka Kini, Sukdith Punjasthitkul, Andrea McClave, Viviana Ramos, Max Seidman, Cote Theriault